May 14, 2006 Ray Cooper
Newman Scores Second Straight Top 10, Gains email@example.com
Four Spots in Standings; Sorenson Finishes 11th 704-975-3232
DARLINGTON, S.C. (MAY 14, 2006) – Ryan Newman drove his No. 12 Alltel My Circle Dodge Charger to a sixth-place finish in Saturday night’s Dodge Charger 500 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup race at Darlington Raceway.
Newman’s second straight top-10 finish lifted him up four spots to 19th in the series standings. He’s gained seven positions in the past two races and is 177 points out of 10th place with 15 races remaining to qualify for The Chase.
Kasey Kahne won his third career pole at Darlington on Friday and led three times for 41 laps Saturday night. Kahne ended up 21st in the 43-car field, and the driver of the No. 9 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Charger dropped a spot to eighth in the standings, 307 points behind leader Jimmie Johnson.
Greg Biffle won his second straight race at Darlington, followed by Jeff Gordon and Matt Kenseth. Johnson and Dale Earnhardt Jr. rounded out the top 10. Johnson leads the standings by 93 points over Tony Stewart, while Kenseth ranks third, 94 points behind the leader.
Chevrolet leads Ford in the manufacturers’ standings 80-68, while Dodge ranks third with 61 points.
Rookie Reed Sorenson drove the No. 41 Target Dodge Charger to an 11th place finish and moved up two spots to 24th in the standings. Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates teammate Casey Mears, driver of the No. 42 Texaco/Havoline Dodge Charger, finished 17th at Darlington and dropped a position to 11th in the standings. He’s 15 points out of 10th place.
Other Dodge Charger finishers in the Dodge Charger 500 were:
• KYLE PETTY (No. 45 Tire Kingdom Dodge Charger) 18th
• KURT BUSCH (No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge Charger) 19th
• BOBBY LABONTE (No. 43 Cheerios/Betty Crocker Dodge Charger) 22nd
• DAVID STREMME (No. 40 Lone Star Steakhouse Dodge Charger) 25th
• DAVE BLANEY (No. 22 Caterpillar Dodge Charger) 27th
• SCOTT RIGGS (No. 10 Stanley Tools/Valvoline Dodge Charger) 31st
• MICHAEL WALTRIP (No. 55 NAPA Dodge Charger) 35th
• KEVIN LEPAGE (No. 49 FreightLiner/Fire-Dex Dodge Charger) 36th
• JEREMY MAYFIELD (No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Charger) 38th
• DERRIKE COPE (No. 74 Royal Admin/Sundance Vacations Dodge Charger) 43rd
World of Outlaws
The World of Outlaws race Friday night at Attica Raceway Park in Attica, Ohio, was rained out, and Saturday night’s scheduled event at K-C Raceway in Chillicothe, Ohio, was also postponed due to rain.
The series rolls into Pennsylvania Posse Country for the first time in 2006 for Thunder on the Hill on Tuesday at Grandview Speedway in Bechtelsville, Pa. before heading to Western Pennsylvania and the Commonwealth Clash on May 19 at Lernerville Speedway in Sarver, Pa. That sets the stage for the $50,000 Challenge on May 20 at Sharon Speedway in Hartford, Ohio.