Ypsilanti, Mich., May 9, 2006 –
Revel in summer’s splendor with the Pre-Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show Excursion, 8:30 a.m. – 8 p.m. Saturday, June 3, sponsored by the Walter P. Chrysler Museum.
The morning into evening event features a scenic four-stop daytime tour followed by a nighttime reception. The excursion is open to auto enthusiasts with vehicles of all makes and models.
The Pre-Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show Excursion travels to:
8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
* Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum – Start the day with continental breakfast at the world’s last Hudson dealership. Step back in time with dozens of vehicles and original Hudson memorabilia dating back to 1927.
* Rivertech, Ypsilanti – Stroll through this former manufacturing plant that discretely houses more than 75 domestic and foreign sports and collector cars ranging from the Brass Era to current models. Talk with the vehicles’ owners about ongoing repair and restoration projects.
* The Weaver Collection, Lodi Township – Explore the private vintage collections Howard and Norma Weaver maintain on their 15-acre, beautifully landscaped homestead. Stroll with the couple among 30+ vehicles – ranging from their first acquisition, a 1931 DeSoto, to their most recent, a 1957 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer – as well as their collection of signs and other memorabilia. Enjoy a picnic lunch and take in the manmade pond that graces the grounds.
* Yesterday’s Collection, Ann Arbor – Cool down with an ice cream treat from the quaint Dairy Bar while exploring 9,000 square feet of classic cars, original gas pumps, die cast models and automotive books and antique signs, as well as Betty Boop and Coke® collectibles.
6 – 8 p.m.
* Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum – Following a late afternoon break, return to the museum for a hearty hors d’oeuvre and cash bar reception and an entertaining presentation by Car and Driver Executive Editor Tony Swan.
Convenient parking is available at all stops and a suggested route of paved roads between destinations will be provided. Tour participants will travel in a scenic caravan.
Cost for the Pre-Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show Excursion, payable at registration by May 26, is $40 per person for the full day event, $25 per person for the daytime tour only and $25 for the evening reception only.
To register via phone (734-482-5200) or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org ), provide:
* Driver’s name, street and e-mail addresses, telephone number and make and model of vehicle.
* MasterCard or VISA number, account owner’s name and expiration date.
Registration by check, made payable to the Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show, is accepted at Pre-Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show Excursion, 100 E. Cross St., Ypsilanti, MI 48198.
The Saturday driving excursion precedes the 10th annual Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show Sunday, June 4, in the city’s downtown Riverside Park. The show is sponsored by the Walter P. Chrysler Museum. To register a vehicle and for additional show details visit http://www.ypsiautoheritage.org or call 734-482-5200.
For more on the three-story, 55,000 square foot Walter P. Chrysler Museum, located on the DaimlerChrysler complex in Auburn Hills, Mich., visit http://www.chryslerheritage.com or call 888-456-1924.
The Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum is located at 100 E. Cross St (at River St.) in Ypsilanti. From I-94, take exit 183 (Huron St.) north to Cross St.